On The Buses

What's not currently on the box
solidgold25
405 lines

On The Buses

Post by solidgold25 »

Was the first series recorded on 405-line or 625-line videotape? And why did Series 2 start so soon after Series 1 - was the first series in the can for many months before airing? My guess is that Series 1 was recorded in 1968 but maybe someone here will know for sure?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: On The Buses

Post by Simon Coward »

I'm not sure when Series 1 was recorded; I've always thought it was on 625-line tape, but I'd happily be corrected.

As for the reason Series 2 was broadcast so soon after Series 1, I suggest three reasons: ratings, ratings and ratings.

LWT had endured a terrible start to their ITV contract. In the 28 weeks after the conclusion of the strike in August 1968 they had managed just 19 different entries in the Network Top 20, not even one a week on average.

All seven episodes of Series 1 featured in the Network Top 20, despite ATV scheduling it after News at Ten. So I can quite imagine that LWT were keen to show more as soon as possible.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

groovy69
405 lines

Re: On The Buses

Post by groovy69 »

Generally, series 1 was recorded three days before the episode broadcast. So for example, No.6 "The canteen" was recorded Tuesday 1st April (Studio 5A) and was broadcast 3 days later on the Friday.

As far as I can tell all episodes are 625 line.