"ITC Entertained the World" - podcast

What's not currently on the box
Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Re: "ITC Entertained the World" - podcast

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained The World - episode 7 - The Baron

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss The Baron - the first ITC action/adventure series to be made in colour starring Steve Forrest as John Mannering aka The Baron, with Sue Lloyd as Cordelia.
With archive interview clips from Steve Forrest, Sue Lloyd, production supervisor Johnny Goodman and directors Cyril Frankel and Roy Ward Baker. Dig out an old antique that you think you can sell, get in the Jensen, watch out for dodgy road diversions and just hope you're not asked to replace David Marlowe in another action packed adventure around the Elstree backlot.

With thanks to Kaleidoscope.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... the-baron/

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Excellent, can't wait...I hope my Favourite episode, "The Maze", gets a good valuation.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:31 pm
Next episode - The Baron, being recorded tomorrow

It's great! very involving especially if The Baron has been a long part of your life's wallpaper ..so to speak.
Perhaps a little harsh on David Marlowe, as if the Baron was visiting his shop in London he had to have someone
one running it of 'retail' nature who was not expecting all the mayhem and excitement to come LOL.

An excellent examination of 'Elstree Studios' and what some have said on this forum that it was er .. all a bit tatty there,
but rather prim and respectable in B/W but in colour you can it's not wearing any knickers..
In comparison to the glorious MGM sets on The Prisoner and Strange Report at Pinewood.

.and at last praise for Steve Forest (who I thought was great) and recognition for the leading ladies who proved they were more than a match for the men if they got a meaty role as Annette Andre proved. One of favourites was Kay Walsh as a mad scientist IIRC.

There was talk of a BR release and if it happens, IMHO they should do it properly (like Star Trek) correct all the blue fuzz overlay faults,blur the dodgy backgrounds etc... and make it shine.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Mmmm...only if it was optional ( and I doubt it would be, or cost-effective), for me, Archive programmes are time-locked, it was made in 1965 and should look that way.

Anyway, back-projection is alright...it has a charm to it!

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Another excellent podcast. "The Baron" is not great as a show but it stands up pretty well within the ITC canon. I would echo the points that Steve Forrest's performances have been unfairly maligned by too many "critics" and wonder if their minds were made up before watching the show. I think many of them still regard "The Baron" as a poor relation of "The Saint" and there is also maybe the snobbery towards "American influence" and an American actor who they regard as shoe-horned into the show. Unless that actor had been very different in his interpretation (rather like Richard Bradford) he was going to have a hard time. Perhaps things might have been different if the character and actor had been English but that would have then amplified the suggestions that the programme was just a rehash of "The Saint". Maybe it was a no-win scenario for those involved as long as it was based around a single "hero" character operating in a world of wealth and it needed a very different approach as occurred with "Man in a Suitcase" to be better received.

I'm certainly looking forward to the next podcast and hope that in time all the well-known ITC adventure series will be covered and maybe some of the lesser-known ones as well.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Hi Left Field, thanks for the positive feedback about the podcasts - the next one is on Strange Report. We do hope to cover all of the ITC series, those both well-known and those that are lesser known, we are also planning to cover some of the ITC films and do some 'specials' but I'm keeping the details of those under my hat at the moment. There's also something coming in print relating to ITC very soon so watch this space.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Excellent news about "Strange Report", and the mystery print item, cant' wait.

I was hoping something could be done with those unused "Persuaders" storylines mentioned in that series podcast.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:53 pm
ITC Entertained The World - episode 7 - The Baron

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss The Baron - the first ITC action/adventure series to be made in colour starring Steve Forrest as John Mannering aka The Baron, with Sue Lloyd as Cordelia.
With archive interview clips from Steve Forrest, Sue Lloyd, production supervisor Johnny Goodman and directors Cyril Frankel and Roy Ward Baker. Dig out an old antique that you think you can sell, get in the Jensen, watch out for dodgy road diversions and just hope you're not asked to replace David Marlowe in another action packed adventure around the Elstree backlot.

With thanks to Kaleidoscope.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... the-baron/
This is a podcast that just gets better and better. The discussion, the analysis, the examples... all outstandingly good. For me, "The Baron" has always been a distinctly 'average' series - mainly because of the other things I was watching when I first saw it in 1985. I've kind of always wanted to return to the show and reassess it to see if I still feel the same way about it all this time later, and - as such - what this conversation offered was perfect; those involved start very much from the point of finding elements of the series rather underwelming, but the ensuing discussion very precisely identifies the areas of weakness, and then displays how despite this there is - nevertheless - a lot to admire and enjoy about John Mannering's adventures. It makes me keen to find the time to revisit the show myself.

This is a podcast that is very much to my tastes; well prepared, well edited and driven by content.

All the best

Andrew

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Thanks Andrew - the three of appreciation the feedback and the detailed reply you sent us privately. Glad that people are still enjoying them.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Just listened to the latest edition which is a quite superb discussion about "Strange Report". Well worth a listen if people are interested in the series and have 90 minutes to spare. Solid content with astute observations. Definitely one of my favourite podcasts.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/

All the best

Andrew

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Thanks Andrew, I have sent you an email

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Great series with a smashing cast, I have been looking forward to this one.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Thanks for all the feedback - next episode was recorded at the weekend, it's now down to me to edit it so hopefully it will be available in a week or so.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Most enjoyable and you totally summed up Strange Report with things not perhaps previously thought about.
I think I would have preferred a 26 or 30 episode series as I liked the characters but as you imply it needed a thread with the writing
and more input from local writers (the Roger Marshalls etc) to give it some grit.
But I understand many established British writers preferred to work on VTR series to express themselves and not get their work churned around in the ITC international machine... I read an article of the time where a writer had said ITC was now 'the tail wagging the dog' and he certainly would not be writing for them.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained The World - episode 9 - The Tamarind Seed

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss The Tamarind Seed - the 1974 ITC film starring Omar Sharif, Julie Andrews, Anthony Quayle, Sylvia Syms, Dan O'Herlihy, Oskar Homolka, Bryan Marshall, David Baron, Celia Bannerman and Kate O'Mara. Directed by Blake Edwards and filmed on location in London, Paris and the Caribbean, it was one of Lew Grade's first forays into feature films. With a lush John Barry score, Maurice Binder titles and cinematography by Freddie Young.
Often overlooked as romance, Jaz, Rodney and Al argue that there is a lot more to this film than the critics suggested.
Are you red or are you blue? Do you believe in fairytales? Put on your 70s slacks and head into the murky world of espionage and love.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... rind-seed/

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:56 pm
ITC Entertained The World - episode 9 - The Tamarind Seed

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss The Tamarind Seed - the 1974 ITC film starring Omar Sharif, Julie Andrews, Anthony Quayle, Sylvia Syms, Dan O'Herlihy, Oskar Homolka, Bryan Marshall, David Baron, Celia Bannerman and Kate O'Mara. Directed by Blake Edwards and filmed on location in London, Paris and the Caribbean, it was one of Lew Grade's first forays into feature films. With a lush John Barry score, Maurice Binder titles and cinematography by Freddie Young.
Often overlooked as romance, Jaz, Rodney and Al argue that there is a lot more to this film than the critics suggested.
Are you red or are you blue? Do you believe in fairytales? Put on your 70s slacks and head into the murky world of espionage and love.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... rind-seed/
Ooh - that was good! One that I can barely remember because the last time I saw it must have been 1985. Absolutely fascinating! More please! :)

All the best

Andrew

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained The World - episode 10 - Hammer House of Horror 

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss Hammer House of Horror - the 1980 ITC anthology series that took one of cinema's biggest brand names and turned them into small screen horrors. Travel back with them to the sleepy Metroland of the 1980s for some chilling conversation.

Note: A poltergeist was present during this recording and was playing around with Al's audio - please forgive him as he was trying to introduce some scares to the podcast! 

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... of-horror/

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:07 am
ITC Entertained The World - episode 10 - Hammer House of Horror 

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss Hammer House of Horror - the 1980 ITC anthology series that took one of cinema's biggest brand names and turned them into small screen horrors. Travel back with them to the sleepy Metroland of the 1980s for some chilling conversation.

Note: A poltergeist was present during this recording and was playing around with Al's audio - please forgive him as he was trying to introduce some scares to the podcast! 

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... of-horror/
Not being a horror devotee, this is a show that I've not returned to for over 30 years... so it was great to hear the views on offer here and it's certainly made me curious to revisit it some time. Great background and context again, as always. Very enjoyable.

All the best

Andrew

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained The World - episode 11 - Man of The World

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss Man of The World - the 1962 ITC action/adventure series that starred Craig Stevens as globetrotting photo-journalist Michael Strait and sometimes Tracy Reed as his glamorous assistant Maggie MacFarlane.

Load up the Rolliflex, find some boating shoes (but only for a moment as we'll ditch that idea!) and get ready for a colourful adventure than will soon see you caught up in strikes, a change of film and a mischievous friend who is looking to become a star himself!

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... the-world/

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:38 pm

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss Man of The World - the 1962 ITC action/adventure series that starred Craig Stevens as globetrotting photo-journalist Michael Strait and sometimes Tracy Reed as his glamorous assistant Maggie MacFarlane.

Load up the Rolliflex, find some boating shoes (but only for a moment as we'll ditch that idea!) and get ready for a colourful adventure than will soon see you caught up in strikes, a change of film and a mischievous friend who is looking to become a star himself!

That was a fine listen and brought to life a series largely forgotten.

Now if only Man of the World had got the Shirley's World titles with a bit of macho

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:38 pm

Terrific listen. All manner of new bits and pieces and perspectives for me to take onboard there; certainly lovely to hear people getting so much value and fun out of the series, and reminding me that all that's in store for when I look at it next. Very, very enjoyable indeed!

All the best

Andrew

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained The World - episode 12 - Jane Merrow Special

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al are joined by actress Jane Merrow who discusses working on all the ITC series she appeared in: Man Of The World, Danger Man, The Saint, Gideon's Way, The Baron, Man In A Suitcase, The Prisoner, Strange Report, Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased) and UFO.

With thanks to Jane Merrow.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... w-special/

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The excellent Jane Merrow?...a must listen!

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Just listened to the interview with Jane Merrow in the latest edition. Conversation is very enjoyable indeed with some lovely insights into the different leads in series such as "The Saint", "Danger Man", "Man in a Suitcase", "UFO", etc - and some really fascinating stuff about the acting scene in the early 1960s in general. Well worth a listen! :)

All the best

Andrew

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Yesterday, the ITC Entertained the World podcast hit 10,000 downloads - I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for the support.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained The World - episode 13 - Department S

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss Department S - the 1968/69 ITC action/adventure series that starred Peter Wyngarde as crime writing novelist Jason King, Joel Fabiani as the all-action Stewart Sullivan and Rosemary Nicols as computer expert Annabelle Hurst. With Dennis Alaba Peters as their boss Sir Curtis Seretse.

Hear Peter Wyngarde himself reminisce about the series!

Get ready to explore the mystery of Robert Cullingford and how he became one of Interpol's top men. You'll need to dress like a dandy, drink lots of brandy and keep an eye on the beautiful but dangerous young femme.

With thanks to Dan Box, Network and Umbrella.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... artment-s/

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Smashing series, very much looking forward to this one.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:38 pm
ITC Entertained The World - episode 13 - Department S

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss Department S - the 1968/69 ITC action/adventure series that starred Peter Wyngarde as crime writing novelist Jason King, Joel Fabiani as the all-action Stewart Sullivan and Rosemary Nicols as computer expert Annabelle Hurst. With Dennis Alaba Peters as their boss Sir Curtis Seretse.

Hear Peter Wyngarde himself reminisce about the series!

Get ready to explore the mystery of Robert Cullingford and how he became one of Interpol's top men. You'll need to dress like a dandy, drink lots of brandy and keep an eye on the beautiful but dangerous young femme.

With thanks to Dan Box, Network and Umbrella.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... artment-s/
Another excellent offering. Some very good discussion with a great sense of understanding and perspective, as well as some very interesting comments about the original format for the series.

This remains a very solid podcast which always repays the time that's invested into listening to it. All presented with a great deal of understanding of the subject matter under debate.

All the best

Andrew

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Always one of my favourite podcasts and I was particularly looking forward to this one as Department S is one of my preferred ITC series. Overall I'm not particularly an ITC fan but the podcasts are so well-done that they really engage listeners, whatever their familiarity with a series. There's great insight and reflection in the discussions which always make the listener want to check out the episodes again or sample them for the first time if it's a series that hasn't been seen. The tone is appreciative but never uncritical and I think that's so important as a podcast that is wholly celebratory and portrays everything as "wonderful" loses its value. Even the best series will have their limitations and areas that could be improved upon and the podcast doesn't gloss over that fact. it also helps that there are three contributors so each provides different insights and so while there are areas of agreement there are also illuminating differences as well. Another great positive for me compared to some podcasts is no contributor is trying to be a "character" and make it more about themselves rather than the show itself. The format is always informative but never dry.

One element that the podcast touched on was that Department S didn't seem to get the same repeat exposure as other ITC shows. I think it was repeated up until the early 1970s but then disappeared and didn't have a repeat run in the 1980s like many of its counterparts. By contrast Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) made at the same time I recall being repeated up until the mid 1970s and then the 1980s. Do we know why Department S didn't get this same repeat exposure?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Left Field wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:42 pm

One element that the podcast touched on was that Department S didn't seem to get the same repeat exposure as other ITC shows. I think it was repeated up until the early 1970s but then disappeared and didn't have a repeat run in the 1980s like many of its counterparts. By contrast Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) made at the same time I recall being repeated up until the mid 1970s and then the 1980s. Do we know why Department S didn't get this same repeat exposure?

I would say think of the context of the time and that it was due to the Peter Wyngarde bus toilets incident. The press crucified him and the public was outraged to a point that they did not want to see him again, and instead of building on his immense talent he was out of work for quite a few years. This is why I do not believe much of what has been said about Jimmy Savile..if the 'News of the World' in those days had even got a faint whiff of anything going on they would have torn Savile to shreds.