ATV archive donated to the bfi

What's not currently on the box
hartleyhair
Baird 30-line Televisor

ATV archive donated to the bfi

Post by hartleyhair »

Can anyone shed any light on the ATV VT archive that was donated to the BFI in the last few years,iv read about it a few times on this forum and was mentioned in passing on the missing episodes forum,did this come from broad street or was it part of the archive that went missing/was surposed to be being have junked when ATV became central,i also read that the some of the archive was moldy,i see that a number of items have being dripfed by the BFI in recent years such as Harry lifters,Rushton's Illustrated,and three episodes of the previously lost Big Boy Now! ,my questions where was this archive kept,and is it a few odds and ends or a lot more,i would be really intrested to know if any kind soul had any more information regards HartleyHair.

stearn
Committee

Re: ATV archive donated to the bfi

Post by stearn »

Have you contacted the BFI? They would be the ones who would be likely to know what they have been given. I doubt they would pass on more information like the condition, but it always a good idea to try the horses mouth first.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Aren’t these “new” discoveries actually the result of some proper cataloguing of tapes that were acquired back in the 70s and 80s?

Rather like when ITV bought the ATV archive and began a proper investigation of what was held and where, which threw up a fair few programmes thought lost.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

I think it will be a matter of the BFI drip feeding them as they only have a limited number of spares for their 2inch VT machines.
So there is probably a lengthy evaluation process to ensure the tape goes through in one take without wearing/ damaging the precious heads.
Apparently, TPTV could not show ep 1 of 'The Mind of Mr JG.Reeder' because it was 'damaged' *
and this of course was from the looked after Thames library
not a library (ATV) that has been shoved from pillar to post in the past 40 years.
With Polygram only interested in the ITC division.

But anyway looking forward to them finding Jimi Hendrix on the Dusty Springfield show (wishful thinking LOL)

* be interesting to know if the missing JG Reeder episode The Treasure Hunt was on the Network DVD.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

fatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 pm
Be interesting to know if the missing JG Reeder episode The Treasure Hunt was on the Network DVD.
It is on the Network DVD.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

David Boothroyd wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:28 pm
fatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 pm
Be interesting to know if the missing JG Reeder episode The Treasure Hunt was on the Network DVD.
It is on the Network DVD.
Hmm ..maybe TP gets shortchanged sometimes by these big orgs. whose left-hand does not know what its right hand is doing?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

The first episode of REEDER was an ABC production, but was held by Thames (at the very least on a Philips viewing tape - which is where Kaleidoscope obtained a copy from). By the time the dvd release came round Kal’s copy seems to be the only one in existence.

So probably Fremantle just doesn’t have a copy of the episode to sell to Talking Pictures.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

ian b wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:04 am
The first episode of REEDER was an ABC production, but was held by Thames (at the very least on a Philips viewing tape - which is where Kaleidoscope obtained a copy from). By the time the dvd release came round Kal’s copy seems to be the only one in existence.

So probably Fremantle just doesn’t have a copy of the episode to sell to Talking Pictures.
These backstories are always interesting- thanks

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Well it does show that TPTV doesn't show programmes off DVD, I suppose.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Brian F wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:00 pm
Well it does show that TPTV doesn't show programmes off DVD, I suppose.
That would have some "interesting" copyright ramifications.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]