Early Armchair theatre on videotape

What's not currently on the box
fatcat
D-MAC

Re: Early Armchair theatre on videotape

Post by fatcat »

Simon Coward wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:12 am

It does indeed, and the tape even has some interviews beforehand - Bill Grundy interviewing Dame Sybil Thorndike (who had played the role of Mary Broome many years earlier) and both Olive McFarland and Robert Stephens (who were in the Granada production of the play). I've only seen it via a VHS viewing copy but it looks great, amazing to think that it's more than sixty years old, though I suppose the tape was 'only' thirty-something when it was transferred to a more modern format.
There must have been a bit of amazement with Dame Sybil seeing it played back immediately.
I understand a tape in good condition also survives of the 1959 New Year's Eve (look back over the year) show which has clips
of the plays etc of that year.

ArchiveTvfan43
625 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Simon Coward wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:09 pm
Not AT
but Granada's Mary Broome play from 1958 survives on videotape I believe. (Harry H Corbett)
It does indeed, and the tape even has some interviews beforehand - Bill Grundy interviewing Dame Sybil Thorndike (who had played the role of Mary Broome many years earlier) and both Olive McFarland and Robert Stephens (who were in the Granada production of the play). I've only seen it via a VHS viewing copy but it looks great, amazing to think that it's more than sixty years old, though I suppose the tape was 'only' thirty-something when it was transferred to a more modern format.
How is it that early plays from 1960 like Lord Arthur saviles crime and Lena o my Lena, and after the funeral survive on original VT? Were they donated to the BFI?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:27 am
Simon Coward wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:09 pm
Not AT
but Granada's Mary Broome play from 1958 survives on videotape I believe. (Harry H Corbett)
How is it that early plays from 1960 like Lord Arthur saviles crime and Lena o my Lena, and after the funeral survive on original VT? Were they donated to the BFI?
In the case of Armchair Theatre, yes, they were. In the case of Granada's "Mary Broome" and many other Granada productions from the 1960s (and a few from the 1950s) it's simply because Granada didn't wipe them.

In the case of AT, perhaps 'donated' isn't quite the right word. I believe that back then, the National Film Archive (as it would have been called) had a budget for the purchase of copies of selected programmes for preservation. I think at least some (maybe all) of the AT's surviving on tape were acquired that way.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

ArchiveTvfan43
625 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Speaking of Videotape, do the BFI still hold the videotape of episode 6 of series 1 of Callan? "You should have got here sooner" ? It hasn't had a proper 405-625 electronic conversion like episode 1 has "the good ones are all dead" has had done. I hope we aren't stuck with the optical conversion of episode 6?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Their website says that they do, which is all I have to go on.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.