World In Action episode help.

What's not currently on the box
Corpse Candle
405 lines

World In Action episode help.

Post by Corpse Candle »

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the programme summary/sypnosis of an episode of World In Action called "After Doomsday". I have tried to find televiison listings for the day of the episode but I can't find anything and anything I have searched for offers only the title of the episode.

I have no idea how possible it is to aquire this episode but if it's on the subject matter I am researching for my writing I may try. Sadly however I highly doubt every single World In Action episode will ever be realised on DVD. Any help is greatfully recieved.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: World In Action episode help.

Post by Simon Coward »

From the old ITN Source site:

Production ID: 1/0568/0669
Programme ID: 1/0568
Programme title: WORLD IN ACTION (AFTER DOOMSDAY)
Production title: WORLD IN ACTION (AFTER DOOMSDAY)
Synopsis: Looks at the likely effects of a nuclear war in Britain and the discrepencies between official casualty figures and those estimated by scientists. Also details the conditions which will prevail, after a nuclear war and discusses whether nuclear shelters will provide adequate protection. Interview Douglas Hurd, Home Office Minister who is critical of the governments civil defence policy. World In Action revealed new inforamtion about a county-by county nuclear hit list and names the safest and the most dangerous, places to live in Britain, based on computer predictions.The programme also looks at people who have built themselves nuclear bunkers to protct themselves in the event of nuclear war. How effective will the bunkers be and how long will the effects of the bomb last? The programme also develops new inforamtion about conditions that will affect people who survive the initital effects of the blast. World In Action also talks to the people who appeared in the still banned BBC fim "The War Game" which looked at the effect on Britain of a nuclear war.
Series title: WORLD IN ACTION 1983 (SERIES 23)
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Corpse Candle
405 lines

Post by Corpse Candle »

Superb!

Thank you for the help, I didn't use this forum at first because I thought it may have looked liked I was asking others to do the legwork for me but I honestly did try before coming here. It looks to be exactly the documentry I want to watch and now I suppose is the process of trying to get hold of it.

Again this place proves to be an excellent resource.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

This:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... a33a0d613f

may be of some use.

There is only a generic listing for that transmission in the TVTimes (at least for the Central edition I have here. I am guessing the person I bought the batch from was visiting family before Christmas as every other edition bar Easter and a week in the Summer holidays are London).