The Sky at Night

What's currently on the box
Private Frazer
D-MAC

The Sky at Night

Post by Private Frazer »

The recent 'ET and the BBC' episode was a great look back at the search for life. But I'm not sure what Brian May said "we actually did find bacterial life on Mars" is correct; it would have been all over the media. Confirming ancient organic compounds is currently the first step.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Re: The Sky at Night

Post by Mark »

Wasn't there something said in that recent Brian Cox series?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Brian Cox might well have but last night (Planets) I only noticed him mentioning some chemical on Titan. Phosphine discovered last year in the atmosphere of Venus and the unknown bacteria on the International space station are in the news but, I think, no alien bacteria seems yet proven.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was the Cox series that updated known facts from his earlier series, possibly something about dormant bacteria brought to life by water, something like that.

You wouldn't think May would make a statement like that, without some back up, so he must have got it from somewhere.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

One of the experiments carried out on Mars by a Viking lander in the 1970s, actually did give a positive detection for current life. Due to negative results from other experiments, this positive result was generally viewed with caution. A single positive result was deemed inconclusive and potentially the result of chemical processes not relating to life.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

A bit of fun about the bet with Patrick more than anything else.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

I've just watched the 'ET and the BBC' episode today. Yes, the piece in question was just a bit of fun, pretending to be a clip from the future.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ah right...Life on Mars...but not yet!

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

This is pretty funny; I didn't know the sketch was set in the future!