The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
Private Frazer
D-MAC

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Private Frazer »

Glad its now reported that the feared-missing Tanya Fear (Dr. Jade McIntyre, visitor of the neighbouring flat in Arachnids in the UK) has been found; hope she is OK.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

RTD is coming back as Showrunner.
While some are celebrating this as some sort of "return to form", I am not overly optimistic.
The fact is that Davies, Moffat and Chibnall are all pretty much cut from the same cloth, and it'll likely be more of the same, just with a new Doctor.
What is REALLY needed is a new Showrunner who has no connection whatsoever to the Moffat/Gatiss etc. crowd.
Great News Inside, Chums!

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 am
RTD is coming back as Showrunner.
While some are celebrating this as some sort of "return to form", I am not overly optimistic.
The fact is that Davies, Moffat and Chibnall are all pretty much cut from the same cloth, and it'll likely be more of the same, just with a new Doctor.
What is REALLY needed is a new Showrunner who has no connection whatsoever to the Moffat/Gatiss etc. crowd.
Thanks for passing on the news.
Maybe some of Steven Moffat and Chris Chibnall's stories were harder to follow but I'm very pleased to hear that RTD is coming back!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's a backward move, in my opinion, the series must be in a very bad way, if they have to resort to getting the person who successfully revived it, to try and save it.

I'm surprised he wants to do it.

I never liked all that Bad Wolf/Time War stuff, and introducing soap style emotional scenes, hardly escapist, which is what it was supposed to be.

Been catching "Blakes 7" on Forces TV, and it wipes the floor with Nu-Who, there doesn't seem to be writers of that standard anymore.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Announced a few days ago : 31st October is the start of Jodie's next six episodes; it's a good time of year for Doctor Who.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There's a longer trail being shown now.

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

So BBC1 is showing the new episode this Sunday and one hour later it airs on BBC America.
But later the same evening BBC America will be showing an 'Extended Version'. The normal versions has several repeats listing on BBC America but the 'Extended Version' only appears once.
Anyone know which version BBC1 are showing?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's down as 50 mins, so it looks like normal version, "Strictly" results follow, so it's a tight squeeze anyway.

jubbely
405 lines

Post by jubbely »

The episode was a rushed mish mash of confusion and too many threads, even for new who. An extended version sounds torture! Sontarans made it all worth while of course…

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

All over the place, and came across as a cinematic superhero film, yet another falling in the sky scene, which just seem ridiculous.

I can't help thinking the 6 part series idea, came from the success of "His Dark Materials".

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I nearly turned off during the pre-title sequence bit, but thought it rattled along after that, and was left wanting to see more. I thought Dan was a good addition (as was Bradley Walsh before him) but the other two lead actors just never convince me (Jodie only seems to have about 3 facial expressions). What puzzled me was the promotion of the series - I was chatting to my daughters on Sunday night and neither of their households had realised it was even on. The overnight viewing figures were the lowest (?) for a series opener, which doesn't bode well for a connected 6 part arc - hopefully there will be a big catch-up on iplayer. Love it or hate it, I just hope that all of the arcs from this Doctor are wrapped up so that the 60th can start with a blank piece of paper.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Its 'Doctor Who' so, BBC, you could have put 'Flux' later in front of the episode name. We'll see what next week's does with all the threads. Bit scary.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thought the second one was better than the first, but the idea that all Sontarans rest at the same time was rather poor.

Overnights were lower still.

Wonder when The Master will turn up?....he's not that Victorian bloke is he?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Lower figures yet again for Ep 3, which was rather messy, but just about understandable, although I doubt general viewers would be bothered to try and follow it.

There is a lot of talk about the 'Radical Change' that is coming for the series, RTD will be returning and the show will be co-produced by the Bad Wolf production company, ( which Sony is buying into), it's moving studios as well.

It may end up bigger and even more of a 'Blockbuster' type series.

Not for me, but could potentially finish it off altogether, if it hasn't happened already.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Not great-sounding news, I agree. To me the show started to go off the rails in Moffat's second year, and though I blame him a great deal for becoming self-indulgent, that was also when it started showing simultaneously on BBC America and aiming much more for the internet and social media.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

With production being handed over to Bad Wolf and RTD back to try and revive it for a second time, it shows what a bad way it's in.

I can't see it working, when the general audience have deserted it.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

So, that series came and went, with very little fanfare.

The Angels one, was the best of the bunch, I would say, and Barbara Flynn was quality as usual ( as was Kevin McNally).

Two specials left of this era, I think, New Years Day and the BBC Anniversary one.

After those...can the general audience be lured back by RTD and big money?