Talking Pictures - more 'No Hiding Place' episodes

What's currently on the box
Brian F
D-MAC

Re: Talking Pictures - more 'No Hiding Place' episodes

Post by Brian F »

I just misread my clock this morning, but only missed the first 10 minutes or so. I was only trying to get half an hour lay in, but it spread. How ever an enjoyable episode again a show that had different directors for the Studio and film sections. I liked the view of the gallery during the in show TV show interview. Also the way they went from the hurried insertion of an End of Part one caption in it, even showing the TV cameras moving in on the card with it written on and then putting the NHP caption behind it for the real "End of Part One".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

stearn wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:49 am
I remembered at 1am this morning so got up and set the timer!
Nice one, it certainly was a great bit of scheduling!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am
I just misread my clock this morning, but only missed the first 10 minutes or so. I was only trying to get half an hour lay in, but it spread. How ever an enjoyable episode again a show that had different directors for the Studio and film sections. I liked the view of the gallery during the in show TV show interview. Also the way they went from the hurried insertion of an End of Part one caption in it, even showing the TV cameras moving in on the card with it written on and then putting the NHP caption behind it for the real "End of Part One".
Yes, it was a really good episode, I thought, nice script from Larry Forrester and impressive studio direction from Christopher Hodson.

The 'End of Part One' caption idea was really clever, and I was wondering if they used another studio gallery for those scenes with John Cater.

It seemed a more polished production than last weeks episode, which was done five months later!

Nice print again, apart from one or two tram lines.

Tim D
405 lines

Post by Tim D »

Mark wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:58 am
The 'End of Part One' caption idea was really clever
The use of the End of Part One caption was great. A nice bit of inventive work.
Mark wrote:
I was wondering if they used another studio gallery for those scenes with John Cater.
I thought the same thing. It looks a lot to me like the gallery in Studio 1 which is now the site of the Wembley Park McDonalds. I very much doubt that the people sitting in that restaurant have any idea that they're occupying such an historical plot of land. Just about anyone who was anyone in pop music during the 1960s has performed or mimed in that very space whilst on Ready Steady Go!

I'm guessing the main studio production was in one half of the huge Studio 5 with Studio 1 being used for the gallery and talk show set. You'd only have to take a hop, skip and a jump through the reception area to flit between the studios during a live broadcast. Or nip round the rear scenery dock.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

BTW if you spot Vacant Possession in the TP schedule (they do show it fairly frequently) it is from the AR series Blackmail

A rather amusing bit of fun.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Tim D wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:28 pm
Mark wrote:
The 'End of Part One' caption idea was really clever
The use of the End of Part One caption was great. A nice bit of inventive work.
Mark wrote:
I was wondering if they used another studio gallery for those scenes with John Cater.
I thought the same thing. It looks a lot to me like the gallery in Studio 1 which is now the site of the Wembley Park McDonalds. I very much doubt that the people sitting in that restaurant have any idea that they're occupying such an historical plot of land. Just about anyone who was anyone in pop music during the 1960s has performed or mimed in that very space whilst on Ready Steady Go!

I'm guessing the main studio production was in one half of the huge Studio 5 with Studio 1 being used for the gallery and talk show set. You'd only have to take a hop, skip and a jump through the reception area to flit between the studios during a live broadcast. Or nip round the rear scenery dock.
Looked like plenty of time for Warren Mitchell to get round there, clever way to do it indeed.

In the episode "Dead Ringer", there was a scene where the camera moves with Lander towards the customs chap for a bit of banter, allowing Francis to nip back to his office set for the next scene, all part of the logistics of Live TV, great stuff.

It is sad about Wembley, all those great shows

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 pm
BTW if you spot Vacant Possession in the TP schedule (they do show it fairly frequently) it is from the AR series Blackmail

A rather amusing bit of fun.
Knew about it but keep missing it!...will watch out for it again.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

A better chance to see the excellent "Inquest On An Idol" episode on TPTV at 5pm today.