Holby City Cancellation

What's currently on the box
Cole
625 lines

Holby City Cancellation

Post by Cole »

Probably not the sort of thing to be discussed on here, but I was wondering what people thought of the decision to cancel Holby after twenty three years?

The BBC has said that they are doing so to... "make way for more drama serving all parts of the country," but Holby and Casualty were originally meant to be set around Bristol. The West Country doesn't get served all that much. Mind you, from both soaps, there is only one character that has got remotely a West Country accent.

I have to assume that Holby got the bullet because it's still made in London. Having said that, there has definitely been a drop in quality over the last couple of years.

Any thoughts, or is it good-riddance to an over-abundance of soap operas?

stearn
Committee

Re: Holby City Cancellation

Post by stearn »

To be honest, I was surprised it was actually still going. I don't watch a great deal of telly and have actively avoided shows where there is blood, gore, and needles, but I'd say 23 years for a spin off from a series that first started in 1986, it has had a good run. It must get to a point where the environment starts to limit storylines.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I was surprised to learn that Casualty is still on. Coming up for its 35th anniversary this year.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Lew Grade once said one of the worst decisions he made was to cancel the long-running Emergency ward 10 as there was always room for a hospital drama.
He replaced it with Market in Honey Lane an East End London pre-EastEnders which was actually packed with dramas going on IIRC, explosions. robberies etc while remaining upbeat and retaining a sense a humour.

Annoying in these Casualty etc shows is that grand Titanic staircase seen in the background - I mean who with any form of injury or impairment would want to climb or descend that LOL.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Cole wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:51 pm
Holby and Casualty were originally meant to be set around Bristol. The West Country doesn't get served all that much. Mind you, from both soaps, there is only one character that has got remotely a West Country accent.
Yet placenames ending in "-by" normally only occur in areas of the country settled by the Vikings (e.g. Derby, Rugby, Whitby, Selby, Grimsby). Someone slipped up there!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Two big Hospital dramas was pushing it a bit, although they were obviously both popular.

Must make "Holby City" the longest running spin-off, I think.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Mark wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:38 am
Two big Hospital dramas was pushing it a bit, although they were obviously both popular.

Must make "Holby City" the longest running spin-off, I think.
Must have a mention for the police drama Holby Blue, Casualty's other spin-off which only lasted one series (occasional cross-overs with Holby/Casualty characters).

If I would raise a single disappointment about Holby City being taken to the morgue, it's that it did have the occasional supernatural or downright weird episode. However, they haven't done that for a long while, which is a shame. It's been very run-of-the-mill for years and very recently started using incidental music which (when you're not used to it) doesn't sit well at all.

It has also been the case that previously conniving, bullying or lead-swinging characters suddenly became paragons of virtue or the 'bullying' re-defined as being strong.

Honestly, it was becoming a bit of a chore to watch, so the cancellation probably did me a favour as, for some reason, we kept going back for more...

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

fatcat wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:14 am
...Annoying in these Casualty etc shows is that grand Titanic staircase seen in the background - I mean who with any form of injury or impairment would want to climb or descend that LOL.
Ah, but the amount of times they've used that as a grand entrance for Connie or have someone survey the room before entering the fray. Mind you, A&E needs a large room in case another helicopter crashes into it!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Bound to, I'd say, or something big anyway.

Completely forgot about the short lived "Holby Blue".

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Cole wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 pm
Must have a mention for the police drama Holby Blue, Casualty's other spin-off which only lasted one series (occasional cross-overs with Holby/Casualty characters).
Two series.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Think I only saw a couple of episodes of "Blue".

Remember "Casualty" from the start, watched a couple of series or so, but then lost interest.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Pretty sure I lasted just the first episode and some of the second of the police spin-off. It lives on in my memory as being on the very dull side and peopled with unlikeable characters, shaky-cam direction and a blue colour palette.

HOLBY BLUE just seemed like a very cynical, and unnecessary, attempt at expanding the world of CASUALTY - it certainly didn’t feel anything like the original. As it’s Wiki page has it…

The BBC suggested that Jordan used the "Holby" brand to "create a third arm of the successful Casualty and Holby City format". Jordan questioned whether the series would be "held in disdain" by "soap snobs", but made the ultimate decision to name the drama HolbyBlue after remembering the "joy" he took from "surprising the audience by subverting expectation".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HolbyBlue

The first series got a dvd release.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Shaky-Cam direction, became very annoying very quickly, so that wouldn't have helped.

Back in the 90's, I remember Lisa Bowerman.( at a "Who" con) talking about "Casualty", she played Sandra Mute in the first two series.

I think I recall it correctly, but she was saying the ratings were not great, and there was talk of it being pulled, but when her character was killed off, the ratings shot up and it was set to carry on.

So it nearly did what "Blue" ended up doing.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

ian b wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 am
Cole wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 pm
Two series.
Oops!

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I'm surprised they were doing an NYPD Blue rip-off as late as 2007. Remember "MIT: Murder Investigation Team", The Bill's attempt at doing CSI c.2003?

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Juswuh wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 pm
I'm surprised they were doing an NYPD Blue rip-off as late as 2007. Remember "MIT: Murder Investigation Team", The Bill's attempt at doing CSI c.2003?
I’d forgotten about that. The only spin off from The Bill I would have said was Burnside.