The BBC Jack de Manio show

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
DrPL
405 lines

The BBC Jack de Manio show

Post by DrPL »

Hi,
I'm trying to find the tx date for some editions of BBC Radio's Jack de Manio show (presumably, the one called "...Jack de Manio Precisely"). One, probably two of his shows were about the so-called haunted aerodrome at RAF Bircham Newton, the latter one of which was investigated by Rita Dando. I think this would have been 1970-72. BBC Genome doesn't have much information except for a reference on the Thursday 6th January 1972 show write-up which talks about previous shows - but I don't know if this references the first or second trip to the base. I'm pretty sure the second trip was done by December 1972.

(There was also some coverage on the aerodrome on Nationwide at approximately the same time, but I'll refrain from asking for that tx date on this radio dedicated sub-forum :)

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Brock
HD

Re: The BBC Jack de Manio show

Post by Brock »

DrPL wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:25 pm
BBC Genome doesn't have much information except for a reference on the Thursday 6th January 1972 show write-up which talks about previous shows - but I don't know if this references the first or second trip to the base.
I can't help you on the specific query, but I would point out that ...Jack De Manio Precisely made its debut on Thursday 30th September 1971. So that immediately narrows it down to one of fourteen programmes (30/9/71 - 30/12/71).

DrPL
405 lines

Post by DrPL »

Thanks Brock, this is a big help - would you happen to know if he fronted any other shows at that time? Its possible that the aerodrome piece(s) were done for another show that he was the lead in. All the original sources say was "The Jack De Maneo show" so maybe they just assumed his name was in the title?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

DrPL wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:31 pm
Thanks Brock, this is a big help - would you happen to know if he fronted any other shows at that time?
Yes, he was the presenter of Today, Radio 4's breakfast magazine show, for many years. According to Genome his last appearance on the weekday show was in July 1971 (co-presenting with John Timpson), but he continued to present the Saturday edition until August 1972.

I should add that he presented the show on his own until 1970, so it's quite likely that it might have been referred to as the "Jack De Manio show". He was very heavily identified with the programme. (He started in 1959 when it was still the Home Service.)

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

He'd been a Announcer for many years prior to TODAY, of course.

DrPL
405 lines

Post by DrPL »

Thanks my friend. All I have been able to ascertain is that the date of the second trip to the aerodrome (not necessarily the tx date) was on or before December 24th 1972 because of a mention in a local paper.

DrPL
405 lines

Post by DrPL »

I've been able to narrow it down a bit further. It apparently took place between August 1970 and December 1971, but with a newspaper article putting the first of the two editions covering this item closer to the second of these dates - and this edition was called a "morning show."

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

DrPL wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:28 pm
I've been able to narrow it down a bit further. It apparently took place between August 1970 and December 1971, but with a newspaper article putting the first of the two editions covering this item closer to the second of these dates - and this edition was called a "morning show."
Well as I've already said, Jack de Manio's last appearance on the weekday edition of Today was on 2 July 1971. (Apparently he left because he was unhappy with the new two-person format.) If he presented an item on a morning programme after that, it can only have been on the Saturday edition, which (according to Genome) he started presenting on 21 August 1971. I can't really pin it down any further than that.

EDIT: I've found this article which suggests that the tape was recorded on a "warm summer night", but I don't know how reliable it is. (For one thing, it appears to say that 12 December 1971 fell on a Friday, when it was actually a Sunday.) It does include the sentence "The crew left after two weeks of filming and sent the tape to the BBC Jack de Manio programme where it was played over the air one morning".

DrPL
405 lines

Post by DrPL »

Well spotted - it was actually in the newspaper on December 17th!