The return of Star Cops!

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
AndrewP
625 lines

Re: The return of Star Cops!

Post by AndrewP »

Just made a start on the Miwk book "Above the Law: The Unofficial Guide to Star Cops" and *very* much enjoying what I've read so far. Some really lovely interview material with those involved in front of and behind the cameras. This is a series with a lot of potential which I have fond memories of and it's good to see that it's finally being celebrated with a volume of this nature.

All the best

Andrew
Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

As it covers events between the Mother Earth and the Mars stories I decided to get Big Finish’s ‘The Stuff of Life’ audiobook after all. It’s now in a double CD box with the nice cover from the website between the two full-cast dramas.

The prologue, an incident not involving any of the usual characters, includes a clever trick by writer Mike Tucker. I fell for it and (unless I’m naive) I think you might too. Chapter one let me hear how Trevor Cooper approached the narration and I realise that Colin Devis’ voice was only a slight animation of his own. This works really well as he switches between his own voice for Nathan’s remarks and Colin’s. It’s a very funny start and I can just envisage the TV characters in what is well and truly a great big new episode! Mike Tucker must know the Star Cops characters very well.

Haven’t been so optimistic about a book for a while, but I’m going to take it a leisurely chapter or two at a time for the next week or so (to be continued…).
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."
brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I'm confused.
I thought Colin Devis was in 'Space Precinct'...
Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

The Stuff of Life – by Mike Tucker

Firstly, I hope it’s helpful for me to mention the many locations/vehicles I got to know after listening to this story and re-searching through a few, mainly early, clips :

Earth
The Earth Space Agency is only mentioned (still the boss of the Star Cops) as is Orbital Operations Ground
A city visited

The Orient Express : Earth to Moon-orbit shuttle (like the Nasa Space Shuttle)

Moon
Moonbase including Star Cops Office and Orbital Flight Control etc.
Outposts Smaller numbered bases including Hydrotech and H2 Orbit’s; accessible using Moon Rovers
Shuttles including the latest models C4 and C5 and the Teal Star for going to moon-orbiting vehicles

The Ronald Reagan The American space-station in orbit round the moon

Edgar Rice Burroughs : a space-station orbiting the sun at a distance of 150 million Km and used on the way to Mars. It has Single Personal Spacecraft (SPS) units

The Pallusidar : an Earth to Edgar Rice Burroughs freighter

One more space location

Mars : is only mentioned as the distant colony in development.

Secondly, a few thoughts:

I enjoyed the story because it’s stand alone and yet nicely links the earlier Mother Earth case to the later Mars development. Without giving anything away, there are elements which are little reminders to both the Star Cops TV episode “This Case to Be Opened in a Million Years” (a location), and a ploy played in “In Warm Blood”. The violence in the middle didn’t last, which I prefer to the way it escalated in one of the last Mars ones. A couple of times Nathan says things that show he is reminded of Lee. Box is there of course; incidentally I’ve a talking clock sounding exactly like it which I’ll keep for conventions! A few other little things feel like more than a coincidence; as towards the end when being on the Edgar Rice Burroughs is described as being Out Here (and not up here) which makes me think that the writer noticed that from TV episode one. It feels good to think the writer knows the Star Cops “world”. There’s also a late bit when it suddenly felt very like the space event from Apollo 13 when we’re told “… with every passing day the health of the crew had deteriorated significantly…”. Maybe it wasn’t for the same reason but I got the actual image of the Nasa mission in my mind to imagine the seriousness of the situation. One nice link to the up-coming Mars stories is that Nathan, on board the Edgar Rice Burroughs for ten weeks, gets to appreciate the greater distances in space than Earth to Moon. He says he wants to prepare his communications systems for dealing with all the time delays. It's all very realistic.

Trevor Cooper is great reading this giving not just Colin but everyone the right accent.

coming soon : Sins of the Father review. Audiobook described on Big Finish website, Vortex magazine, Nov 2021 - page 19
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."