Let's Go Round Again - The Story Of The Magic Roundabout

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Zokko!
405 lines

Let's Go Round Again - The Story Of The Magic Roundabout

Post by Zokko! »

Let's Go Round Again - The Story Of The Magic Roundabout is on Radio 4 at 4pm on 12th October and promises to be a cut above the usual cult children's TV documentary - I can state this with some confidence because I worked on it!!

Hope you'll all agree when you hear it! More details here... http://timworthington.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... again.html

Mark
Committee

Re: Let's Go Round Again - The Story Of The Magic Roundabout

Post by Mark »

Had a listen to this, earlier, it's very good indeed, love a good radio Doc on the subject of classic TV.

Eric Thompson was a genius on this show, not just the writing, but his superb philosophical toned voice.

I was never a huge fan of the Planer version, for the very reasons he mentions in the Doc, it always seemed to be too 'knowingly' clever, in an attempt to emulate the style of the original, but on a recent re-evaluation, it has grown on me, somewhat.

Totally agree with Mark Kermode, however, "Dougal And The Blue Cat"...a masterpiece, eye wobblingly brilliant, and still hugely disturbing, and very atmospheric, knocks many of it's rivals into a cocked hat...without a doubt!

Loved that version of the TV theme with French lyrics, too.

Any chance you can persuade the makers to do a history of "Watch With Mother"..?... now that is well overdue.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Zokko!
405 lines

Post by Zokko! »

Mark wrote:Had a listen to this, earlier, it's very good indeed, love a good radio Doc on the subject of classic TV.
Cheers! Everyone was very keen to do it properly so 'the forums' were the acid test really, so it's great to hear this.
I was never a huge fan of the Planer version, for the very reasons he mentions in the Doc, it always seemed to be too 'knowingly' clever, in an attempt to emulate the style of the original, but on a recent re-evaluation, it has grown on me, somewhat.
There was a bit from me that didn't make the final cut in which I commented something along the lines of the Planer version being great fun if you 'got' the references, but a bit lost on everyone else (and that its early morning placing in the middle of a frown-friendly news show didn't help). I also suggested it was an extension in some ways of Neil's Book Of The Dead/Heavy Concept Album.
Any chance you can persuade the makers to do a history of "Watch With Mother"..?... now that is well overdue.!
Can't really say *anything* at the moment, but you're not dramatically far off the mark there...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes the Planer version's early morning slot did seem to go against it somewhat, a far cry from the days of the teatime slot and the complaints when it was moved.
Zokko! wrote:
Mark wrote:
Can't really say *anything* at the moment, but you're not dramatically far off the mark there...
Really.!, sounds exciting, definitely look forward to that then.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

Well, having only now caught up with this thread, I just listened to that wonderful gem! Thanks for that indeed! I miss a great deal that is on the radio - just don't manage to keep up with it - so this was a treat!

And it's getting dark, so hearing the Magic Roundabout theme as the light is fading has taken me on a nostalgia trip - remembering teatime after school, just before the news came on...

Mark Dowding
405 lines

Post by Mark Dowding »

I enjoyed listening to this especially the clips from the early episodes and the French theme music/song. For years I remembered the slower music that was used in those episodes but when the theme changed to the more familiar faster version I wondered if I'd imagined the slower version because it was never heard again. Thanks to a certain website I've caught up with the 1965 shows and regained my sanity.

Zokko!
405 lines

Post by Zokko! »

Alice80 wrote:Well, having only now caught up with this thread, I just listened to that wonderful gem! Thanks for that indeed! I miss a great deal that is on the radio - just don't manage to keep up with it - so this was a treat!

And it's getting dark, so hearing the Magic Roundabout theme as the light is fading has taken me on a nostalgia trip - remembering teatime after school, just before the news came on...
Thanks very much!! As I say, I'm really pleased that the end result reflected the work that went into it, it's just a shame there wasn't enough time to cover everything - there was a section on the 'rave' records that sampled the show/theme that had to be cut for timing, for example.
Mark Dowding wrote:I enjoyed listening to this especially the clips from the early episodes and the French theme music/song. For years I remembered the slower music that was used in those episodes but when the theme changed to the more familiar faster version I wondered if I'd imagined the slower version because it was never heard again. Thanks to a certain website I've caught up with the 1965 shows and regained my sanity.
The producer Lizzie was very keen to get hold of as many unusual archive clips as possible (though The Scaffold singing about The Magic Roundabout, as suggested by Phyllida Law, sadly proved elusive); the French themes were taken straight from my vinyl copies, I'm not sure if they ever actually have been on CD...

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Zokko! wrote:[T]here was a section on the 'rave' records that sampled the show/theme that had to be cut for timing, for example.
I remember dear old Peely playing a couple: Magic Roundabout by Planet Cook, and Summers Magic by Mark Summers (which also sampled I.T.M.A.).

Zokko!
405 lines

Post by Zokko! »

Nigel Stapley wrote:
Zokko! wrote:[T]here was a section on the 'rave' records that sampled the show/theme that had to be cut for timing, for example.
I remember dear old Peely playing a couple: Magic Roundabout by Planet Cook, and Summers Magic by Mark Summers (which also sampled I.T.M.A.).
Also Too Much Fun by The Chillin' Krew, which actually had a video by Ivor Wood's Woodland Animations - I've written about a couple of them here: http://timworthington.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -that.html