Andy Marriott's Television Show

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
David Ballard
405 lines

Re: Andy Marriott's Television Show

Post by David Ballard »

Brock wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:31 pm
Gosh, has it been going that long? What station was it on? Serenade Radio only started in 2015.
He originally started the programme on Radio Trent, moving to GEM AM and I think it continued on at least one of the East Midlands regionals. It's taken different forms over the years. I have a couple on cassette, including an ATV special to mark the 10th anniversary of the loss of the ATV name.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Quite an inspired selection today. My favourite this week was Don Harper's theme for World of Sport - or would have been if he hadn't cut it off shortly before the end! The great thing about World of Sport was that it had a nice long closing credit sequence, so you always got the theme tune in full. I hardly watched the show itself but it was the music that heralded the start of Saturday evening viewing on ITV, so had a special significance. It was aptly followed by the Ski Sunday theme, Sam Fonteyn's "Pop Goes Bach", which tends to turn up on everyone's list of favourite TV sports themes, even if they've never seen the programme.

And there was the theme for Sorry!, supposedly written for some "Sloane Ranger" soap opera that never materialized - or is this just an urban myth? It certainly doesn't sound like a typical sitcom theme.

It seems that the main thing that Andy Marriott remembers about The Irish RM is the "terrible picture quality". I'll have to take his word for it, as it was broadcast at a time when our local transmitter hadn't been converted to Channel 4 and the only way to receive it was to plug in an indoor aerial and try to point it at Crystal Palace, so any sort of picture at all was a miracle...

My contribution to "spot the voice-over" this week: was that Joss Ackland on the Yellow Pages ad?

Secret Army, Within These Walls, Star Trek - The Next Generation, Earth Final Conflict, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Vicar of Dibley, Sorry!, Lillie, The Pallisers, The Brothers, Sandbaggers, Stingray, Roobarb, Pinky and the Brain, The Adventures of Black Beauty, The Scales of Justice (opening theme)[*], The Ghost and Mrs Muir, Emmerdale Farm

Ads - Sunsilk, Yellow Pages ("Fly-Fishing by J.R. Hartley"), TV Times

Fantasy Island, Hawaii Five-O, Worzel Gummidge, Alien Nation, Lost In Space, The Fall Guy, Harry O, Macmillan and Wife, ATV opening (19 Dec. 1981), World of Sport, Ski Sunday, Porterhouse Blue, The Irish RM, Newhart, Perry Mason, Do Not Adjust Your Set (+clip)

[*]Another of those Edgar Lustgarten cinema features that found its way onto TV in the 1970s - see here.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Not sure of the intended use of the Sorry theme. Gaynor Colbourn and Hugh Wisdom are credited as composers.

This may or may not be the same Gaynor Colbourn: https://www.dressagetomusicbygaynorcolbourn.com/

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

stearn wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:06 pm
Not sure of the intended use of the Sorry theme. Gaynor Colbourn and Hugh Wisdom are credited as composers.

This may or may not be the same Gaynor Colbourn: https://www.dressagetomusicbygaynorcolbourn.com/
Yes, I believe that it is. I don't know where I first read the suggestion that the Sorry! theme was first composed for a "Sloane Ranger" soap, but it may have been here:

https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0182118/?ref_=tt_urv
The theme tune to 'Sorry!' is quite exceptional. It was originally written for a soap opera about 'Sloane Rangers', the trust funded and upwardly mobile sect of London society that saw fit to dress country style in town and vice-versa. This series didn't make it to our screens but the signature music suited the premise of 'Sorry!' very well as the cyclical nature of the melody is a wonderful illustration of Timothy Lumsden's frustrating life.
However, this is contradicted by the following post (on a different site), which appears to come from the composer herself:

http://www.brelson.com/2011/01/and-you- ... chno-club/
Just to set the record straight, Ronnie Hazlehirst did not orchestrate the Sorry theme, I did that myself. Ronnie conducted the BBC Musicians from the scores that I produced for each instrument. The theme music is copywritten, thus any new arrangements have to be with permission, which I do not recognise as having been sort from you. The music was not arranged for organ, but piano, 2 saxes, guitar, bass and percussion. It was not neo jazz influenced, it was merely composed in response to the story board illustrations given to me by Liz Freidman, the designer of the superb animated title sequence.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I'd go with straight from the horsey persons mouth.

I'm not sure when a theme tune would be commissioned, but I suspect it would be after casting and filming had started, especially as working titles do change. Soaps aren't my thing, but I don't recall a soap about Sloane ranger types being mentioned in the various TV hell type shows.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

stearn wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:22 pm
I'd go with straight from the horsey persons mouth...

Is 'copywritten' straight from the same mouth, along with 'sort' for 'sought', I wonder?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I don't believe that "copywritten" is an actual word. What do advertising copywriters do? They write copy; they don't "copywrite", any more than screenwriters "screenwrite". A copywriter would presumably say "I have written some copy", not "I have copywritten".

Whether it's a word or not, it's clearly not the intended meaning here, which is "copyrighted" - the past participle of "to copyright". (Given the misspellings of "Hazlehurst" and "Friedman", I imagine that spelling isn't Ms Colbourn's strong point!)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:31 pm
David Ballard wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:42 pm
Yes, he did get that one wrong. Having been listening to Andy's Television Show since the 1980s I'm fairly sure he will know that so I suspect he recorded the links separately and maybe the track was mislabelled in the system.
Gosh, has it been going that long? What station was it on? Serenade Radio only started in 2015.

The track was credited correctly on the website, so I don't think it could have been mislabelled.

Anyway, a day late, here's the complete list for anyone who wants it:

The Hair Bear Bunch, Dynasty, Trainer, Howards' Way, Crown Court ("Distant Hills"), Crimewatch UK, Grandstand ("News Scoop"), Pebble Mill at One, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?, Hong Kong Phooey, The Herbs (clip), Wacaday, Shabby Tiger, Brideshead Revisited, Tomorrow's World, Doomwatch

Ads - British oil (generic - they don't make ads like that any more!), Nimble, Smash, Burton

When the Boat Comes In, The Streets of San Francisco, Please Sir!, Yus, My Dear, The Flashing Blade, Timeslip, Battlestar Galactica, Mind Your Language, The Durrells, K9 and Company (only one episode ever made!), The Doris Day Show (US sitcom), The Cedar Tree, The Harry Worth Comedy Hour, Yes Minister, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Mastermind ("Approaching Doom")

No big stand-out favourites this week, though Crimewatch UK and Tomorrow's World were worth hearing again.
Also, the same mistake with "The Herbs" again, and "Yus My Dear" was miss-remembered as "Romany Jones", but that's easily done.

I was expecting a mention of the "Some Mothers" theme notes being Morse code for the title.

My favourite ads are the Smash aliens, so nice to hear of those again.

Fav themes were "Please Sir!", "Mind Your Language", "Timeslip" and "K9 And Company".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:56 pm
Quite an inspired selection today. My favourite this week was Don Harper's theme for World of Sport - or would have been if he hadn't cut it off shortly before the end! The great thing about World of Sport was that it had a nice long closing credit sequence, so you always got the theme tune in full. I hardly watched the show itself but it was the music that heralded the start of Saturday evening viewing on ITV, so had a special significance. It was aptly followed by the Ski Sunday theme, Sam Fonteyn's "Pop Goes Bach", which tends to turn up on everyone's list of favourite TV sports themes, even if they've never seen the programme.

And there was the theme for Sorry!, supposedly written for some "Sloane Ranger" soap opera that never materialized - or is this just an urban myth? It certainly doesn't sound like a typical sitcom theme.

It seems that the main thing that Andy Marriott remembers about The Irish RM is the "terrible picture quality". I'll have to take his word for it, as it was broadcast at a time when our local transmitter hadn't been converted to Channel 4 and the only way to receive it was to plug in an indoor aerial and try to point it at Crystal Palace, so any sort of picture at all was a miracle...

My contribution to "spot the voice-over" this week: was that Joss Ackland on the Yellow Pages ad?

Secret Army, Within These Walls, Star Trek - The Next Generation, Earth Final Conflict, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Vicar of Dibley, Sorry!, Lillie, The Pallisers, The Brothers, Sandbaggers, Stingray, Roobarb, Pinky and the Brain, The Adventures of Black Beauty, The Scales of Justice (opening theme)[*], The Ghost and Mrs Muir, Emmerdale Farm

Ads - Sunsilk, Yellow Pages ("Fly-Fishing by J.R. Hartley"), TV Times

Fantasy Island, Hawaii Five-O, Worzel Gummidge, Alien Nation, Lost In Space, The Fall Guy, Harry O, Macmillan and Wife, ATV opening (19 Dec. 1981), World of Sport, Ski Sunday, Porterhouse Blue, The Irish RM, Newhart, Perry Mason, Do Not Adjust Your Set (+clip)

[*]Another of those Edgar Lustgarten cinema features that found its way onto TV in the 1970s - see here.
Nice spot for Joss Ackland, and I think it was John Carson on the "Sunsilk" ad.

We finally got the full theme for "Black Beauty", as he said, one of the best themes, and "Macmillan And Wife" was the right one this time, that's a good one too.

"Worzel Gummidge" is a good one , and it would nice to hear the vocal version as well, ( 'You put a wer after W and a wer after o').

Also agree with him about the "Lost In Space" theme, the second one was the best, he said he would play that on the next show, along with the closing theme for "The Scales Of Justice", which must have been the one requested, I should think.

Favs were "Sorry", "Black Beauty", "Stingray" and "Do Not Adjust Your Set".

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Could "unconscious plagiarism" have been a hidden theme in this week's show? We had the theme to H.R. Pufnstuf by Les Szarvas, for which Paul Simon had to be given a songwriting credit when he pointed out that it was too similar to "Feelin' Groovy". We had the theme to Blake's 7 by Dudley Simpson, which sounds strangely similar to a section from "Music" by John Miles. And (in the other direction) we had Sam Fonteyn's theme to Please Sir!, whose middle section seems to have inspired Ronnie Hazlehurst's Blankety Blank theme.

I'm going to nominate Weekend World as my favourite this week. Even if Andy M thought the programme was "terribly boring", no one can say that about the theme tune - and I grew to appreciate Brian Walden as a result.

Hustle, The Streets of San Francisco, Dan August, Barnaby Jones, Foyle's War, Testament of Youth, Tiswas, Chocky, H.R. Pufnstuf, Sesame Street, Blake's 7, Dark Skies, Survivors, Sam, Man About the House, Please Sir!, The Fenn Street Gang, Piece of Cake, Downton Abbey, White Horses, Children of the New Forest, Top Secret, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo Where Are You?, Ragtime, Andy Pandy

Ads - McVities Chocolate Wholewheat, Sunshine Rinso

Luke's Kingdom, Tomorrow's World, Four Feather Falls, The Secret Service, The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady, Edward the Seventh, Shine On Harvey Moon, Division Four (Australian police series), Weekend World, The Golden Girls, Taxi, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Calendar (YTV regional magazine), Tales of the Unexpected, The Thorn Birds.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, a bit of a theme there, accidentally.

"The Fenn Street Gang" was actually the second theme used, on series 2 and 3, fortunately the best one, so that's alright then.

A few more repeats this week including Gordon Jackson and the biscuits!

Have to agree with him on "Weekend World", great theme, but the programme was a bit of a drag.

"Scooby Doo" was the original and best of the themes, for the 69 series, "Pufnstuff" was also nostalgic, it was always said that the line ' Can't do a little, coz he can't do enough' , was a drug reference, but everything is accused of being drugs related in the late 60's/early 70's.

"Blakes 7", (full version this week, great!), "Chocky", "Survivors", "Please Sir" and "The Fenn Street Gang" as favourites this week.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Last show of the year, I think - he said he'd be back next week but a "Ray Conniff Christmas Special" is scheduled for Boxing Day at 5pm.

The undoubted highlight for me this week was the ad break, which was from the era I remember best - the classic PG Tips ad ("Dad, do you know the piano's on my foot?"), Frank Muir with "everyone's a Fruit and Nut case", "do the Shake 'n' Vac", "Secret Lemonade Drinker", and "a finger of Fudge is just enough". Were the jingles catchier during that period or is it just a feature of my age?

Favourite theme tunes were Bonanza, Spitting Image and Match of the Day.

McCloud, The Appleyards, The Cedar Tree, Blue Heelers, Hunter's Walk, Play Your Cards Right, Chimera, London's Burning, The Sentimental Agent, Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Escape into Night, Children of the Stones, Forest Rangers, Picture Box, As Time Goes By, Bird of Prey, Sapphire & Steel

Ads - Fruit & Nut, Shake 'n' Vac, R. Whites, P.G. Tips, Fudge

K9 and Company, The Colbys, Josie & the Pussycats, Supercar, Match of the Day, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Fawlty Towers, Spitting Image, Tom Jones, Born & Bred, Lovejoy, Bonanza, The Big Valley, The High Chaparral, Doctor in the House, Please Sir!, Blind Date, Reilly - Ace of Spies (Romance from Shostakovich's "Gadfly" Suite)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

No you are spot on about the ad jingles, there were so many great memorable ones.

More repeats this week, some very recent, but a good mix though.

Favourites were the Tele Fantasy and Comedy ones, as usual.

"Bird Of Prey" is another great theme ( not sure why a computer thriller would be 'Dated' though, it's quite prescient I would say), and lovely to hear the full theme for "Fawlty Towers", sections of it can be heard on the various DVD menus.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I suppose it's dated by the computers; they seem to change quicker than motor-car styling.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:35 am
I suppose it's dated by the computers; they seem to change quicker than motor-car styling.
Well, that's true, but it's just the idea that a programme is 'Dated' if you compare it to now, but why do that, it was made in the 80's so that's what it's going to look like, obviously.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Good news - there's a bumper double edition of the Television Show on New Year's Eve from 1-3pm.

Bad news - it's billed as the "final edition". Really?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

A great shame if true, hope not, although it frees up Sat Teatimes if it is.

David Ballard
405 lines

Post by David Ballard »

I just asked on their Facebook page and it's not the final one but is taking a short break during January.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

On air he said the show would be back in "late spring when the weather's improved". Don't know exactly when that is, but "late spring" suggests May to me.

Most of this week's themes (and ads) have already been played in the last six months or so since this thread started, so I've little to say except to thank Andy for providing us with a hugely entertaining show to round off the year. I'll be racking my brains to think of interesting new ones for 2021!

Hour 1: The Littlest Hobo, CHiPS, No Hiding Place, Top Secret, Hi-de-Hi, Play Your Cards Right, Sam, Juliet Bravo, Switch, Rawhide, I Spy, Nationwide, Ask the Family, Supercar, The Basil Brush Show, The Avengers

Ads - Butlins, Horlicks, 1001, Birds Eye Cod Fries

Highway to Heaven, Rooms, Lovejoy, Moon and Son, Wilde Alliance, The Main Chance, Neighbours, Special Squad, Home and Away, Upstairs Downstairs, Beau Geste, Alias Smith and Jones, The Gemini Man, Mannix, Richard the Lionheart, Here Come the Double Deckers

Hour 2: White Horses, K9 and Company, Southern start-up music, Winston Churchill - The Wilderness Years, Worzel Gummidge, Downton Abbey, This Year Next Year, By the Sword Divided, I Claudius, Comedy Playhouse, The Munsters, Get Smart, Forever Green, Hunter's Walk, Doctor Who, The Two Ronnies, The Lost Islands, Maigret, Blue Heelers, Sons and Daughters, The Sullivans

Ads - North Sea Oil, Nimble, Smash, Burton

The Muppet Show, Harry Worth, Take Three Girls, World of Sport, Fortunes of War, The Zoo Gang, Call the Midwife, Clarence, Thriller, Four Feather Falls, The High Chaparral, The Big Valley, Dave Allen at Large, Tomorrow's World, All Creatures Great and Small, Hadleigh

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It is a bit of a wait isn't it?...shame really as it is quite addictive.

Good one to end with, nice to hear so many again.

Nice co-incidence that "Thriller" was played as I got the new book the same day, and "The Lost Islands" again, still think it sounds like he's just singing the synopsis sheet.

Agreed with him about "Worzel Gummidge", there IS only one, Jon Pertwee, the definitive scarecrow!, and I'm sure there is a full version of the "Two Ronnies" theme he played.

Always nice to hear the full version of the second "Hadleigh" theme as well.

Look forward to it's return.

David Ballard
405 lines

Post by David Ballard »

You may not have to wait too long to hear Andy's Television Show again. According to the provisional schedule, the programme will be returning on Boom Radio, which launches on February 14th online and on DAB in some parts of the country, this time at 5pm on Sundays. Obviously, that may change between now and then.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

David Ballard wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:27 pm
You may not have to wait too long to hear Andy's Television Show again. According to the provisional schedule, the programme will be returning on Boom Radio, which launches on February 14th online and on DAB in some parts of the country, this time at 5pm on Sundays. Obviously, that may change between now and then.
That seems rather odd. Andy Marriott is still Station Manager of Serenade Radio, and continues to present a weekday show on the station. Why would he move the Television Show to another station?

David Ballard
405 lines

Post by David Ballard »

Some of the team behind Serenade are also behind Boom programming wise. I suspect the break on Serenade is to allow time to get Boom up and running.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thanks for that, will try and catch it..

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:40 pm
Thanks for that, will try and catch it..
I remembered! No great surprises, but I wondered how he had so many requests when the station only came on air today...

David Ballard
405 lines

Post by David Ballard »

It may have only come on air today but it's been on the schedule on their website for a while, it's been mentioned on air during the test transmissions and on their Twitter and Facebook feeds.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ooops, forgot it was on!

Mostly repeats again was it?...will try to listen in on the next one.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:27 am
Ooops, forgot it was on!

Mostly repeats again was it?...will try to listen in on the next one.
Yes, and I imagine that since it's a brand new station, it'll be mostly stuff that we've heard before. It'll be interesting to see if the requests reflect a different age range though - Boom Radio is supposedly aimed at "baby boomers" (I'm not quite sure if I count as one or not).

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"Baby Boomers" is just an insult now.

It's come about because Millennials daren't say "Old B***ards"