Criminal Minds (US tv show)

What's currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

Criminal Minds (US tv show)

Post by Don Satchley »

Hi all,
I was wondering if any members had watched this series, which is available in the UK on Sky tv? Me and my wife discovered it a few months ago and have been hooked. It is great when you discover a series that has a huge back catalogue :). As the Emmy awards were all over the news today I wondered if Criminal Minds had won any in the 9+ years it has been going. To my surprise I found that whilst nominated 3 times the show had never won an Emmy. I find it really odd. To go so many seasons is a good indicator of success and both of us have been really enjoying the series we have watched. Worth a watch if you like high octane drama wrapped up mostly in 45 minutes.
Don

videoking
625 lines

Re: Criminal Minds (US tv show)

Post by videoking »

NCIS is another US series that has run for 11 seasons and still going strong without winning an Emmy. I'm not even sure the series was ever nominated for one.

Alice80
405 lines

Re: Criminal Minds (US tv show)

Post by Alice80 »

Don Satchley wrote:Hi all,
I was wondering if any members had watched this series, which is available in the UK on Sky tv? Me and my wife discovered it a few months ago and have been hooked. It is great when you discover a series that has a huge back catalogue :). As the Emmy awards were all over the news today I wondered if Criminal Minds had won any in the 9+ years it has been going. To my surprise I found that whilst nominated 3 times the show had never won an Emmy. I find it really odd. To go so many seasons is a good indicator of success and both of us have been really enjoying the series we have watched. Worth a watch if you like high octane drama wrapped up mostly in 45 minutes.
Don
I watched all of the series to date in a few weeks and was very very impressed with it. Smart and, while formulaic, it's done in a way that didnt' stop me enjoying the series.

Others I've had the same experience of recently have been The Closer and Major Crimes, which are non-network so had escaped my notice. The Closer, which starred Kyra Sedgwick, won multiple Emmys for its star and also for ensemble playing. Once it ended, the cast ported over to Major Crimes which, while different because Mary McDonnell is a very different type of actress, has alot of the same comedic elements.

And I discovered White Collar, The Mentalist and several other series as well...

The US output is so huge that some series can run forever without ever troubling any awards ceremonies...when you have the Breaking Bads, the Games of Thrones, the Houses of Cards from cable channels dominating, it's easy to see why network long-runners can get overlooked. It's like a gourmet dinner compared to school lunch...nutricious and satisfying but without the artistry...