General Hospital - Volume One - addicted to this old tosh

What's not currently on the box
robinsmith
405 lines

General Hospital - Volume One - addicted to this old tosh

Post by robinsmith »

Goodness me, an old favourite from the cobwebs of my mind, rewatching it, I can't recall a great deal, except for Tony Adams (I haven't got to his episodes yet), Mr Parker-Brown (the Dracula lookalike played by Lewis Jones), David Garth's firm but fair Dr. Armstrong, and the chubby nurse, who I now recognise as Lynda 'Oxo mum' Bellingham.

While the plots drag, it's nice spotting archive tv's favourite actors, with familiar faces popping up from time to time.

Interesting also, the medical jargon seems to be angled towards a less informed public, with the kidney transplant information coming across like some lazarus type cure being put forward, whereas I'm sure the majority of Holby viewers take such info in their stride.

The acting from the main characters amused with James Kerry's lovelorn medic Dr Baxter, with all his big eyes and soppy bedside manner falling for the twisted ankle patient, while Ian White's booming voice, and ragged Robert Powell look lurches from the sublime to the ridiculous....

Still, I'm watching 3 or 4 episodes at a time, as it's so bloody addictive, shame about the b&w episodes, but it's better than no episodes at all....

Anyone else a fan?

Xrds1895
405 lines

Re: General Hospital - Volume One - addicted to this old tos

Post by Xrds1895 »

I adore the show Robin. Lovely cracking load of old nonsence, but the fact is it is drama. Simple straightforward relaxing drama. We don't have anything like this any more. I think that's a shame because do I wish to watch angry Cockney's shouting at each other followed by scenes of carnage (EastEnders/Holby City) or something that eases me out of the day.
Some days I don't want to be stimulated or excited. Some days I j ust need to watch "weird men who all look like Ronald Allen, shouting at each other" as my wife would put it.
Isn't Ian Brown brilliant? I can't tell if his performance is just bad acting or if he has invented his own style of acting. I suspect the latter!
General Hospital, whilsty undeniably old tosh, is lovely escapist TV because it is so damn normal. Thumbs up from me and I can't wait for Series 2.

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Ian Brown? You mean Ian White?

He's one of the reasons I am enjoying this, but I don't think he's in many other archive tv releases, is he? Perhaps his 'acting' style is unique to GH...

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

I distantly remembered the show from childhood and bought the first series more out of curiosity. I've sometimes been disappointed seeing these shows many years later but not in this instance - I found it hugely enjoyable and am pleased to hear news there will be a second release. The telerecorded episodes were fine (it was certainly interesting and unusual to see the colour telerecording from the end of 1973) but it was certainly very welcome when the episodes switched back to colour video-tape. Some fascinating stories and characters, not least the splendidly entertaining Arnold Capper. I didn't remember him at all (maybe I didn't see his episodes at the time) but Mr. Parker-Brown and Dr. Armstrong were etched on my memory from childhood. The irascible Parker-Brown was great viewing. There is a superb exchange where he snaps at someone and after he leaves Sister Washington is asked, "Is he always like this?" to which she replies, "No - he has his bad days as well"! It's also quite refreshing to see a medical show that doesn't have to rely on gore and a catalogue of corpses as we tend to see today.

Although a lot of episodes have sadly not survived the ones that have are largely in blocks which Network astutely included on the first set so we could see more stories to their conclusions rather leave them hanging in mid-air. Hopefully they will have been able to do the same on the forthcoming set.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

robinsmith wrote:Ian Brown? You mean Ian White?
It depends if you are viewing it on a colour telly or a B&W set!

...I'll get my coat.

gogglebox
405 lines

Post by gogglebox »

I am two thirds through Volume one of this lovely series which I did used to watch when it was originally shown,and I am really enjoying this boxset. I actually prefer the black and white telecine episodes as film looks and sound so much more vibrant that video from that period. We didn't get our first colour telly until 1976 so we would have watched this series up until that point in Black and white. I would like to know a bit of biographical info on Ian White aka Dr Peter Ridge and Lewis Jones aka Mr Parker Brown if anybody can fill in the blanks there isn't much info on the net about them. Can Lewis Jones still be alive I wonder he must be as old as the hills ? is Ian White still alive ? Its great seeing Windsor Davies pre "It Aint Half Hot Mum" He is brilliant and so funny.

Network can we please have volume two without any further delay.

I would love to know more about the cast in this series than is available on the net at present so if anybody can update us please share your knowledge. Are there no interviews with the leading members of the cast in the archives ?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

I certainly remember Capper the artful but lovable porter.
and a funny (at the time) storyline involving Kathleen (Black Narcissus) Byron and Katherine.. ? playing a bickering old lesbian patient and visitor couple.

But that was ATV for you, not arrogant enough to think it could change the world with 'issues' just gave you some strong, likeable characters and a half or an hour or so of escapism away from your world, and for anyone say who hated school GH was a warm and fuzzy place to be.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

robinsmith wrote:Ian Brown? You mean Ian White?

He's one of the reasons I am enjoying this, but I don't think he's in many other archive tv releases, is he? Perhaps his 'acting' style is unique to GH...
Ian Brown of The Stone Roses? THAT's who Lewis Jones reminds me of!

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

fatcat wrote:
But that was ATV for you, not arrogant enough to think it could change the world with 'issues' just gave you some strong, likeable characters and a half or an hour or so of escapism away from your world, and for anyone say who hated school GH was a warm and fuzzy place to be.
Haha, yep!